On August 1, 2023, the landscape of employment eligibility verification changed drastically in the United States. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Citizens and Immigration Services (USCIS) released an eagerly awaited new version of the I-9 form, coupled with revised regulations for completing it. These changes come with a heightened sense of responsibility for employers—remote document verification is now allowed but comes with its own set of intricate guidelines.
The stakes for non-compliance have also skyrocketed; Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has ramped up its inspections and has nearly doubled the fines for I-9 violations, ranging from $272 to $2,701 per incorrect form. And let’s not forget that these fines are compounded by the percentage of incorrect forms you may have in your records.
While compliance seems like a steep mountain to climb, it is achievable with the right knowledge and tools. Many organizations fall short because they neither familiarize themselves with the nuances of the I-9 form nor adequately train the personnel responsible for its completion. This is even more pertinent now as forms are revised regularly, requiring you to be continuously vigilant.
This webinar is your roadmap to understanding and adapting to these new regulations. We demystify the updated I-9 form, discuss the expanded obligations for employers, and offer actionable strategies for remaining compliant in this new era. Don’t leave yourself vulnerable to costly mistakes; equip yourself and your organization with the information you need to meet these changes head-on.
Areas covered in the session:
- ICE Worksite Investigations Have Surged
- Recent Penalties for Non-Compliance
- Employer Responsibilities
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement Covid-19 Extensions
- Review of The New I-9 Form
- Implementing a Follow-Up for Temporary Work Authorizations
- Determining Internal Practices on Retaining I-9 Forms
- Conducting a Self Audit and Correcting Mistakes
- Action Items
Why Should you attend?
In over two decades of I-9 audits, the presenter has not encountered a single company that was fully compliant.
Attend this webinar to:
- Ensure you are using the correct, updated I-9 forms
- Understand how to properly complete these forms and which documents to keep
- Learn the nuances of record-keeping and temporary work visas
- Avoid common pitfalls that could lead to steep fines and penalties
- Learn effective communication strategies for employees and new hires
- Gain insights into conducting internal I-9 audits and making necessary corrections
Who will benefit?
- HR Managers and Directors
- Compliance Officers
- Business Owners
- Immigration Attorneys
- Any professionals responsible for employment eligibility verification and hiring processes.
Bob McKenzie, has over 40 years of human resources management experience. His background includes a wide range of hands-on experience in all areas of Human resources management in all types of industries within the public and private sectors.
Bob has been cited in a number of Human Resources trade publications. Among them are HR.com, HR Magazine, HR Florida Review, Vault.com, BNA and the Institute of Management and Administration and the Business Journal. He has been a speaker at a number of conferences as well as audio and web-based seminars.
Bob is a graduate of Rider University where he received a Bachelor of Science in Commerce Degree and double majored in Industrial Relations and Organizational Behavior.
Tags: I-9 Updates, E-Verify Changes, Compliance Webinar, 2023 Regulations, Employment Verification, DHS Guidance, USCIS Update, Legal Requirements, Employer Responsibilities, Bob, McKenzie, September 2023