This webinar is designed to outline compliance with ACH Returns and help take the “confusion” out of doing ACH Returns. Identification of the ten most commonly used Return Reason Codes and their timeframes will be discussed. The Return process can be complicated, this session will include details on when, how, and why when doing Returns to remain in compliance with the NACHA Operating Rules. Included will be an overview on the “entire” Returns Process (including timeframes and Return Codes), from your General Returns to Extended Returns, Dishonored Returns, Contested and Corrected Dishonored Returns.
The ACH Return process – will be explained utilizing multiple examples during the webinar. Included will be the latest changes to the Nacha Operating Rules pertaining to unauthorized Return Reason Codes R10 and R11.
Areas covered during the session:
- Define the Rules surrounding Stop Payments
- Identify the difference in the Rules between a consumer and non-consumer Stop Payment
- List tips that will help customer service and frontline staff to ensure they are asking the right questions of the account-holder
- Outline what an unauthorized transaction is and when to use a Written Statement of Unauthorized Debit (WSUD)
- Identify the differences between using Return Reason Code R10 vs. R11 and what that means to the RDFI & ODFI when returning ACH Entries
- Review timeframes for Stop Payments and Unauthorized Payments
- Illustrate what constitutes an entry to be returned as Authorization Revoked vs. Stop Payment vs. Unauthorized
- Describe through the use of multiple scenarios – the what, when and how of Stop Payments and Returning Unauthorized Entries
Top Questions to Address when Processing ACH Returns:
- What are some of the common reasons that ACH transactions are returned, and how can these issues be addressed to prevent future returns?
- How can organizations ensure that they are following the correct procedures when processing ACH returns, particularly when dealing with complex or uncommon scenarios?
- What are some of the most challenging aspects of processing ACH returns, and how can organizations best prepare for and address these challenges?
- How can customer service representatives effectively communicate with account-holders about ACH returns, particularly in situations where the account-holder may be upset or frustrated?
- What are some strategies that can be used to minimize the risk of unauthorized transactions, and how can organizations ensure that they are following best practices in this area?
Why Should you attend?
Customer service and operations staff struggle each day with the question from their customer – “What does my account holder want me to do…Stop this payment, return it, or they may be saying they revoked the transaction, or even disputing an unauthorized transaction -- what are the next steps?” What form do I need, what do I need to look for to be sure of what I’m doing when assisting my account holder with these delicate situations.
Several scenarios will be provided throughout this webinar to help identify what questions to ask the account holder, what forms to used (based on responses) and next steps to take when returning the Entry. Common ACH Return Reason Codes will be discussed with timeframes, paperwork needed and any other details pertinent when processing the ACH return Entry.
This session will help answer those struggles and concerns to help the front-line and operations staff determine when to use what form, and what the timeframe is to be able to Stop a Payment vs. Returning an Entry as Unauthorized, vs. Authorization Revoked.
These topics continue to be issues when processing ACH returns on a daily basis. Also covered in detail is: “Do I use R10 or R11 as the Unauthorized Return Reason Code and why?”
Who will benefit?
- Financial Institution Professionals (New/Current Operations Staff)
- ACH Operations Managers
- ACH Supervisors
- Compliance Officers
- Risk Management Professionals
- Fraud Prevention Specialists
- Treasury Management Professionals
- Cash Management Specialists
- Payments Specialists
- Accounts Receivable/Payable Professionals
- Banking Operations Managers and Staff
- Aspiring and Current AAPs (Accredited ACH Professionals)
- Audit Personnel
Donna K Olheiser, AAP, is the vice president of Education Services and founder of Dynamic Mastership, LLC. She is an enthusiastic and energetic Certified Master Trainer with over 14 years’ experience. She has designed and facilitated over 150 training sessions each year with her expertise being the rules for companies and financial institutions when processing electronic (specifically ACH) payments, then scheduling the events to facilitate/deliver the material through a variety of venues (webinars, teleseminars, in-person workshops, including regional and national conferences). Ms. Olheiser is also an experienced project manager managing education programs for organizations processing electronic payments and developing personalized training programs for financial institutions.
She has over 23 years of experience in the financial services industry which includes 9 years’ experience as the education service director at a Regional Payments Association (RPA), where she managed and facilitated the entire education program for nearly 800 financial institution members. Prior to that, Ms. Olheiser spent 14 years in various departments with the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis and also holds the Accredited ACH Professional (AAP) designation (achieved in 2004).
Her extensive knowledge, enthusiasm and passion for transferring payment processing knowledge using the adult learning theory is remarkable and has helped many payment professionals perform daily operational tasks including exception processing while remaining compliant with the NACHA Operating Rules. She uses scenarios and examples to bring the learning home, easy to comprehend and apply to real-life day-to-day ACH processing. Ms. Olheiser’s ability to engage the learner through the entire training event helps the adult learner apply what they’ve learned during and after each training session.
Tags: ACH Returns, Processing, 101, Basics, Donna, Olheiser, April 2023, Webinar