Fifteen states and the District of Columbia now require employers to provide paid sick leave to its employees. In addition, 23 municipalities require employees receive paid sick leave and 14 states are considering passing laws soon. A Federal Law requiring paid sick leave seems to be getting closer to becoming a reality.
Do you have a Federal Contract? If so, you are required to have a sick leave policy.
Do you have a contract with a municipality? If so, have you checked the fine print to see if you have to offer paid sick leave to your employees?
Every Law is Different:
One thing to know is that every state and municipal law requiring mandatory paid sick leave is different. Trying to comply with all of them is causing much confusion. For example, Vermont requires paid sick leave be offered after one year of service while other require it after 90 or 120 days. New York’s law requires sick leave be paid as it accrues. Most require you offer paid sick leave to part time employees. Other require it of all employees – even those who work on an on-call basis.
Is Your PTO Plan Obsolete?
PTO or a Paid Time Off programs that combined vacation and sick leave into one bucket of time off was the trend for many years. With the passage of these laws, many organizations are doing away with their PTO as many states require payment of unused PTO upon termination. However, the same states do not require payment of unused sick leave. Organizations can maintain their PTO Plans, but at what cost?
In this webinar, we will be reviewing mandatory paid sick leave laws in place now, review many of the differences and go over how to transition from a Sick/Vacation policy to a PTO policy as well as making the transition from a PTO plan to a Sick/Vacation plan.
Participants will walk away with the understanding of:
- Current Mandatory Paid Sick Leave Laws in place.
- A review of pending legislation.
- A review of the different Mandatory Paid Sick Leave Requirements
- Examples of the Quandary of Compliance
- A comparison of PTO policies vs. Sick/Vacation
- Conducting a cost-benefit analysis for both plans
- Planning for change
- Communication the change
- Action Items for participants
Why Should You Attend?
- With the above described legislation, changes must be made to time off policies in those areas in which you have employees.
- Multi-State employers need to know what the compliance requirements are. Since each state and municipality have different rules for accrual and use of sick leave, compliance is difficult.
- Under the mandatory paid sick leave, abuse can become a huge problem. How will your organization deal with it?
Who Will Benefit?
- Human Resources Professionals
- Payroll Administrators
- Managers and Supervisors
- Small Business Owners
- Business Executives
Bob McKenzie, has over 40 years of human resources management experience. His background includes a wide range of hands-on experience in all areas of Human resources management in all types of industries within the public and private sectors.
Bob has been cited in a number of Human Resources trade publications. Among them are HR.com, HR Magazine, HR Florida Review, Vault.com, BNA and the Institute of Management and Administration and the Business Journal. He has been a speaker at a number of conferences as well as audio and web-based seminars.
Bob is a graduate of Rider University where he received a Bachelor of Science in Commerce Degree and double majored in Industrial Relations and Organizational Behavior.
Tags: Mandatory Paid Sick Leave, Vacation, PTO, Webinar, Bob, Mckenzie, August 2022,